Asakusa Food Tour

By Lani - 12:31:00 PM



Aside from its famous temple, Asakusa is filled with many different foods to try. Along the street leading to the temple, there are a bunch of small shops selling different types of food. These range from fresh rice crackers to traditional Japanese desserts.

~

The first place we visited was a melon pan shop called Kagestsudo. "Melon pan" is named after melons because of the way it looks, but does not traditionally taste like melon.When I bit into the bread, it was perfectly crisp on the outside and warm and soft on the inside. It wasn't overly sweet and it was comforting to eat. The shop has the atmosphere of a 1950s Japanese shop. Each melon pan costs 200 yen a piece (or 300 yen for five) which makes it a great afternoon snack.

Address : 1-18-11 Asakusa, Taito-ku

~

On the outskirts of the temple, there is a tea shop called Suzukien that sells a range of green tea gelato. They had them organized by strength of matcha infused into the gelato. They have the richest matcha flavored gelato in the world. There were levels 1-7, I got level one, my mother got level two, and my dad got level seven for kicks. In the end, we liked what we got for ourselves. Since they are a teahouse with over 150 years of history, they also sell a wide variety of teas!

Address : 3-4-3 Asakusa, Taito-ku

~



There are many fresh rice cracker, or senbei, shops along Nakamise street, but we decided to try this one. It had a few different flavors including soy sauce and wasabi. Wrapped in seaweed, or nori, it has a strong crunch and grilled flavor. Rice crackers are my personal favorite snack, so this was perfect for me.

~


After walking for a while, we visited Karaage Yukari that is known for their fried chicken. The chicken in coated in a light flavored batter. When I bit into it, there was a nice crunch on the outside and a juicy inside. I'm not usually a fan of chicken and am picky about my karaage, but this one was very delicious in my opinion. The place is take-out-only so be aware that you can't eat at the location if you go visit!

Address : 1-24-7 Asakusa, Taito-ku

~

Asakusa is a great place to try many different types of food. There is a large variety of traditional and non-traditional foods to try in the area. Plus, since it's mostly street food, you can try a lot without feeling stuffed! I was full and content after our journey through Asakusa. However, I still feel like there is more for me to try and would love to go back for more!







  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments